Check Out This Post!

Harmon Killebrew On David Letterman!?

With the appearance of Joe Mauer last week on Jimmy Fallon, I was reminded of another episode of a famous Twin who appeared on late ni...

Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Don't Call Them Twinkies," A New Twins Fight Song For You! By Craig Finn And The Baseball Project

Here's the new ditty By The Baseball Project & Craig Finn.


Song author and lead vocalist Craig Finn of The Hold Steady
could pass of a long-lost brother of Hall of Fame pitcher Bruce Sutter.
 With thanks for photo and accompanying info
 courtesy of  MPR: The Current.






Not sure I'm sold on it.  A couple more listenings, and I might be seen running down Sunrise Avenue, Homer Hanky a-wavin,' screaming "Glory Hallelujah!!" Doubltess, Missus Twins Twinkler would endorse that.

The band — which also features Steve "The Toy Cannon" Wynn of Dream Syndicate, R.E.M.’s Peter "John" Buck and Scott "Mr." McCaughey, Zuzu's Petals drummer Linda "Miss Jane" Pitmon — deliver a working-class hardrockin'-jangly-I-tore-my-pants-on-a-barn stud of a song to go with other between-inning hits like John Fogerty’s “Centerfield” or “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” Finn drops some nostalgic lyrics about legendary outfielder Kirby Puckett:

"In the fall of '87, I was pretty much in heaven / I got my licence and a girlfriend, and the Twins had won the pennant," he quivers on the cut.  Finn is tentatively scheduled to appear on the Minneapolis/St. Paul 1500 am radio postgame segment on Sunday, Oct. 3 to discuss the song. But as we well know, rockers are notoriously unreliable and footloose and fancyfree, so that's subject to change...

BTY: I know you've been dying to know: personally, I've never liked the "Twinkies" tag.  That's because I know it originated (at least in my recollection) during the '80s, before the Championship season, as a slightly derisive moniker for team when it, well, sucked.

Of course, I've always been kind of partial towards the original 1961 "Win! Twins!" song by Ray Charles (not THAT one) and Dick ("Don't Call Me Richie") Wilson.  It is available in the sidebar for your eternal happiness.

AND AS IF you haven't heard it, here's a video with the song mentioned above, played as background ambience: it was played during the Twins Legends game a few weeks ago as the portly and disheveled former Twins players took to the field!




May Your Taters Fly Far!
Twinkler Out

No comments: